• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

History Channel "Gold Rush" videos

Hi all,

Yesterday evening I was mindlessly wandering through the library when some books about mining caught my eye. As I was looking to see what might be interesting I noticed two History Channel DVDs named Gold Rush Tech(nology) and Gold Rush Towns. Needless to say they both went home with me.

After watching them I can say that they are definitely worth the time to watch. Each video runs about 50 minutes with Steve Thomas (of This Old House) hosting the Ghost Town episode and Keith Carradine (yes, brother of Grasshopper) hosting the Tech episode. As with most History Channel productions, they traveled to a number of locations to film the show. One segment that I found especially interesting in the Ghost Town episode was about a foundry and machine shop that manufactured mining equipment. They even showed one of the original stamp mills in action.

As with most shows if this nature, the knowledgeable mining historians amongst us will not learn anything new. Still the information presented was interesting and the production quality was enjoyable. I don't think you will be disappointed if you can find it at your local library.

Joanne

Yes...mindlessness occurs a bit too often as I get older...
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
Working...