• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Another Ophir Hill Trip

Just finished a fun Ophir Hill Mine trip this last Saturday. We took Alan Farnham, Senior Editor for Forbes Magazine, in with us and gave him a grand tour of the mine. Ophir Hill never fails to amaze us. We explored deep into a section we call "The Big Room". This room has a large ore bin, some stairs to the right heading up, and some tracks heading down. We took up the stair side and found some interesting signs, one of which said "This way out" and pointed into a large flooded working.

We also explored again around the section with pulley equipment and the incline with two rails heading downward. Most of the areas were a bit more dry
    this time around. All around, a very fun trip!

Quote from Miah regarding the trip:
    We explored a number of new areas including a huge stope with an almost perfect, faultless hanging wall lying at about 20 degrees that extended up and down an incline with a free span of at least 500' x 150' in the largest section. Many hand-stacked rock walls and pillars and a large ore bin were discovered in the stope. While everyone picked at the galena Stu and I followed a muddy, mucky river of orange and black custard reaching nearly a foot deep in places to its terminus about 1500' further back than we had earlier explored. The mine had dried-out in places, but the big incline we saw last time was pouring steam like simmering tea kettle. Amazing how dynamic these spaces are. We had along Alan Farnham, Senior Editor at Forbes during the entire day of exploring and BBQing. He seemed to have a great time experiencing the Ophir Hill with our group and meeting and greeting our luminaries at the BBQ. The real trip took place in the wee hours leading-up to the actual event - we had to change plans a few times and after no sleep and a number of persuasive phone calls Mike and Stu regained holy favor and we were given unprecedented access to the mine. Apparently our efforts in carrying the battery box out of the mine coupled with Harley's endorsement really impressed Leo. On this trip we filled a few garbage bags on our way out to help leave a good impression. All in all a great time.
    Photos from the trip:
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
Working...